Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Kings Mountain Military Park

This past week, I've been continuing new research for my second book, and spent several hours at Kings Mountain Military Park walking the trail and photographing the battlefield there. The park is just south of Charlotte (right across the South Carolina state line), and the battle that took place there played an important role in the Revolutionary War. Local legend states that ghostly soldiers on horseback can be seen riding the old Colonial road running from the site towards Charlotte; and while nothing interesting showed up in any of the photos I took myself, I was lucky enough to come across a very interesting picture on the 'Net that someone else had taken there. I'm in the process of obtaining permission to use it for my book, and the photographer has been very helpful in that regard.

I'd never been to Kings Mountain before, and want to get back later this season. Quite apart from being interesting from a historical standpoint, it's also a beautiful place to walk on a sunny spring day.

No comments:

Post a Comment