Saturday, January 31, 2009

Photos from my first research investigation

In the course of research for my various projects, I've had the opportunity to work with other paranormal researchers, and have gotten some good insight from them. Many times, the investigations I've participated in haven't even been to gather information for my own work, but to be able to gain more experience in effectively collecting data (taking photographs, doing background research, etc.)

These photos came from one such investigation. In the fall of 2007, I went on a "hunt" with members of SPIRiT (the SouthEastern Paranormal Independant Research Team) at Cabe Lands on the Eno River, a state park in Durham, North Carolina. The site had originally been the homestead of the Cabe Family during the mid/late 1700's, and included a grist mill (the ruins of which you see in the photo), a family home (which has pretty much all been destroyed), and an attached family cemetery. It was actually the cemetery we were interested in, as previous visitors and investigators had reported what appeared to be disembodied voices and other strange sounds in the area.

During the course of our investigation, we walked the trail around the perimeter of the park, taking establishing shots as we went, and eventually ended up in the cemetery. There we took more photos, and placed digital recorders in likely locations. Unfortunately, we didn't pick up anything out of the ordinary in the cemetery, but when I returned home and uploaded my own photos into my computer, I was surprised to see what appeared to be an odd anomaly in one of the photographs of the grist mill.

The first photo is the untouched original, and most everyone who's seen it has been able to point out the anomaly--whatever it may be--without any prompting. The second photo is the same with an outline showing what I think I see there; it's not unlikely, however, that this is simply an optical illusion, a lens flare or trick of the light. Still, considering the history of the site and the fact that other phenomenon have been reported there before, it makes for an interesting study.


No comments:

Post a Comment